CN3025: Dog Behavior and Handling
Dates Coming Soon!
If you are interested in being notified when this course is offered please click here and complete the request for updates.
New Format! Brenda Aloff needs no introduction to professionals working with dogs. She is the author of numerous publications and videos as well as a sought-after international lecturer. As always, we bring you the best of the best in the industry. While this course is specifically formatted to assist our Caninology Canine Body Workers and other canine massage therapists, the content will help every dog owner, trainer and any others working in the canine healthcare industry.
Are the dogs you are working with understanding your intentions? Do you communicate effectively to relieve the stress levels and accompanying tension in a strange environment? How can you help them relax during bodywork and training sessions? When have you reached the dogs’ threshold? What kinds of exercises and activities can you use to facilitate the learning process? Do you know what to do if things start going bad? What do you do with the dog on dog reactive dog or aggressive dog? What kinds of safety measures are humane and ethical?
Brenda will address these topics and much more during the 4-day course. You have the option of attending to listen to the lectures and observe the demos and dog training. You are welcome to bring your dog to the course if your dog has nice manners, but we do need this arranged well ahead of the course date. Dogs showing any aggression towards people or other dogs are not allowed in this course due to time constraints. Those bringing dogs will be interviewed prior to the course by the instructor and will be included in 2-3 working sessions for the class. There is an additional $250 for those bringing dogs.
OUTLINE OF COURSE:
How Does Neurobiology Affect the Training Process? Why does this matter to you?
- What is Training?
- Memory Markers
- Cue System
Manipulating Reinforcement Schedules
- Fixed schedules & variable schedules & when they should be used. How do you get the dog off the food?
In hands-on sessions & theory lectures, learn how to use sensitization and desensitization in your training. Various exercises presented will illustrate several relationship-based exercises, as well as some learning theory topics, body language and how to use the dog’s body language during the training process and as feedback to the handler. Body language is discussed in the training process.
Using Canine Body Language for Successful Interaction and Training Enhancement in the Workplace and at Home
Reading the dog’s body language correctly is crucial in the training process and vital if you are to remain safe working with dogs. During the hands-on work, we will constantly be discussing the dog’s point of view, his feedback to the handler in the training process and how to interpret and use this in your interactions with dogs. These points will also be addressed and emphasized using slides and film.
What “Pressure” Means
- How the environment affects behavior & what to do about it
- How different pressures in the environment affect the dog.
- How to talk to your dog about “space” issues, such as reactivity. What is the dog’s point of view regarding proximity?
The Body ’ s Reaction to Training and Handling
- Muscular Tension
- How Tension Affects Training
- Identifying Tension
- Diminishing Tension during Your Session
- Why Communication is the Root of Training and Handling.
- How to Communicate Effectively with Dogs
- Technical reasons for non-compliance
- Why Dogs Make Mistakes
- Reactivity & Aggression
- The theory and exercises used in behavior modification
There is an enormous amount of information to cover during this course. In the evenings you will be given reading to prepare you for lecture and discussion the following day.
This reading and preparation will include:
Behavior Development Periods
- The Progression of a Behavior
- How to Adapt to the Various Stages
Positive Reinforcement and Boundaries
- Placing Proper Structure
- Apply Boundaries in a Humane and Ethical Way for Professionals and Owners
Training & Emotions
- Evaluating the Handler’s Emotions
- Evaluating the Handler’s Communication
DURATION: Students attend class daily 8:30 am – 4:30 pm for 4 days and have an additional 1 hour of evening studies to prepare for the next day of the course. A one-half hour is allowed for lunch so bring one with you. Refrigeration and microwave are on site.
A serious love of dogs and a willingness to learn new theories and techniques.
HOW TO REGISTER
You can register on this site directly for all Australia onsite courses and all worldwide online courses. External links for non-Australia onsite courses will take you to the appropriate website to continue your registration.
Registering via the Website:
You can click on the course number and scroll down to the bottom of the link to register for the particular Australia location and dates. The USA west coast office currently registers all online courses directly no matter where you live. Follow the “register now” link which will take you to the secure shopping cart. Here you can pay with a major credit card or Pay Pal. We do not accept wire transfers due to the processing fee.
Registering via Phone:
Please call the office during business hours 10 am-1 pm Pacific Time: 707.377.4313. You have the option to pay via credit card, Pay Pal or can arrange to send in a check.
Registering via Mail:
You can send your payment (checks, money orders or credit card numbers including the expiration date, CCV and billing zip code) to Equinology, Inc., 610 Noah Ct, Napa, CA 94558. Credit card registrations are also accepted over the phone.
Students are not registered until the non-refundable/non-transferable $500 deposit is received for the course. The $500 deposit is credited towards your course tuition. Courses $500 or less are paid in full at the time of registration. Please take note that all tuition balances are due 60 days prior to the beginning of the course.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL STUDENTS:
To be eligible for our courses, a student must possess these skill sets:
High School English equivalency reading skills*
High School Graduate** or over 18 years of age
Clearly understand the English Language***
* Those who are not high school graduates need to take an “Ability to Benefit” (ATB) test. We now have our own approved alternative ATB exam specific to equine or canine. Please contact the office at email@example.com for the link, password and state whether this is for a horse or dog course. The exam is at no charge and you have 3 attempts to pass.
** Those who are under 18 years of age need permission from their parents or guardians. If the student is not a high school graduate, they will need to take and document the Ability to Benefit Test as described above with a minimum score demonstrating that they have the ability to benefit from Equinology’s instruction.
*** Equinology Inc. does not offer English as a Second Language instruction. It does not offer English language services of any kind.
If you have any questions, please call!
COURSE POLICIES AND REFUNDS
ONSITE COURSE REFUND PROVISIONS:
The deadline to enroll for onsite courses offered by Equinology, Inc® is eight weeks prior to the first day of class. Tuitions which are $500 and over will require a registration fee of $500 to enroll and these are nonrefundable and nontransferable. This $500 registration fee is credited to the total tuition of the particular course. There is no registration fee for the few courses that cost less than $500. Those courses which are less than $500 will require payment in full upon registration.
Any student that notifies Equinology, Inc. to cancel a course must do so in writing and has the right to registration and obtain a refund of charges paid towards the tuition prior to 60 days of the course commencement less the $500 non-refundable registration fee. Refunds must be requested in writing to Equinology, Inc., attention Mr. Paul Hougard, COO/CFO, at 610 Noah Court, Napa, CA 94558 or the Equinology email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirmation letters as well as the course outline, things to bring, required study before the course (if applicable), directions and lodging will be sent when the deposit has been paid. The balance of the tuition is collected eight weeks prior to the start of the course date.
Our instructor’s contract policy allows us sixty (60) days cancellation after which we are locked into our agreement. If you are unable to attend this course you may sell your spot to another individual providing that person has met the course prerequisites. Please notify the office for the data correction.
Our refund policies are stated on the factsheet, confirmation letters and on the website. As a reminder, registration fees which are used as deposits for courses are nonrefundable and nontransferable . In the event that Equinology cancels a course due to low enrollment we will refund your registration fee and any monies paid towards the remainder of the tuition. We will not “roll” the registration fee (deposit) over to another course for you should you not be able to attend.
CANCELLATION OF COURSE BY EQUINOLOGY ®:
If a course should not run due to low enrollment or other circumstances, Equinology will notify the students 28 days prior to the course commencement and return all tuitions collected including the deposit. Although students may wish to make travel arrangement before this time, Equinology cannot be held responsible for travel arrangements made before the 28 days. Equinology also cannot be responsible for student travel expenses should the class need to be canceled due natural disasters, or sociopolitical conflicts or an instructor emergency (death or severe illness or injury of self or immediate family member). In the case of instructor emergency, we will substitute an appropriate instructor if available before canceling the course. We suggest you purchase travel insurance for travel arrangements in case of one of these rare incidents.
- You cannot be confirmed on a class list until the registration fee (deposit) is received and the appropriate documentation has been returned (enrollment form etc)
- You will not remain on the classlist and will forfeit your deposit if you do not pay the balance of your tuition by the designated date. We will attempt to contact you at least three times via email, text and phone.
- Please prepare yourself for the course if precourse study is required
- If a course has required texts, you should purchase these prior to the course
- Please read the list of things to bring
- In accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act: We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin
- If you have any questions, please call us, that’s what we are here for!
- Equinology reserves the right to cancel workshops due to circumstances beyond our control, including but not limited to, low enrollment, at which time all fees (including the registration fee/deposit) collected for the purpose of enrollment will be refunded.
- Equinology cannot be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants resulting from canceled or postponed workshops
- Equinology recommends that registrants secure travel insurance
- Registration fees (deposits) are non-refundable and non-transferable; no exceptions
- Tuition is due 60 days prior to course commencement
- A $25 fee is charged for any returned checks
- Any students without outstanding accounts are not allowed to register for any Equinology or Caninology course worldwide until their debt has been addressed and paid.
DISTANCE EDUCATION REFUND PROVISIONS:
For distance educational courses where the instruction is not offered in real-time, Equinology must transmit the first lesson and any materials to any student within seven days after Equinology accepts the student for admission. The student has the right to cancel the agreement and receive a full refund before the first lesson and materials are received. Cancellation is effective on the date written notice of cancellation is sent (see above contact information). If Equinology has sent the first lesson then the student is not eligible for a refund; Equinology shall not be obligated to pay any refund after the lessons and material are transmitted.